USGS - science for a changing world

Georgia Water Science Center

  home   information/data   projects   publications   GWIN   RiverCam   drought   flood   about   contact
An irrigation system.

2005 WATER USE

Water use in Georgia in 2005 home page. Water-use home

  • Data by individual area

USGS IN YOUR STATE

USGS Water Science Centers are located in each state.

There is a USGS Water Science Center office in each State. Washington Oregon California Idaho Nevada Montana Wyoming Utah Colorado Arizona New Mexico North Dakota South Dakota Nebraska Kansas Oklahoma Texas Minnesota Iowa Missouri Arkansas Louisiana Wisconsin Illinois Mississippi Michigan Indiana Ohio Kentucky Tennessee Alabama Pennsylvania West Virginia Georgia Florida Caribbean Alaska Hawaii New York Vermont New Hampshire Maine Massachusetts South Carolina North Carolina Rhode Island Virginia Connecticut New Jersey Maryland-Delaware-D.C.

Water Use in Georgia, 2005
Groundwater Withdrawals

Pie chart showing surface- and ground-water freshwater use and irrigation use, 2000.

Total offstream water use from groundwater and surface-water sources was about 5,471 million gallons per day (Mgal/d) in 2005. Estimated groundwater withdrawals, which include water obtained from springs, were 1,180 Mgal/d in 2005, mostly for irrigation (41 percent) and industrial and mining uses (24 percent). Withdrawals for irrigation totaled 752 Mgal/d with 65 percent supplied by groundwater sources. In the southern Coastal Plain physiographic province of the State, many counties had more withdrawals from groundwater sources. In general, surface-water resources provide the largest percentage of water withdrawal for counties in the northern half of the State, whereas ground water provides the greatest percentage for counties in the southern half of the State. There are exceptions. For several northern Georgia counties, more than 50 percent of the total county withdrawal is obtained from groundwater, with groundwater withdrawals exceeding 60 percent in the relatively low water-usage counties of Catoosa, Madison, and Murray.

Groundwater withdrawals by county

Large maps with county names:

Map showing total fresh groundwater use by county, year 2005.Map showing total fresh groundwater use, excluding thermoelectric power,  by county, year 2005.

Population and water withdrawals in Georgia, 2005
(Water-use values are in million gallons per day (Mgal/d)
PopulationGroundwaterSurface waterSurface water
(excluding
thermoelectric)
TotalTotal
(excluding
thermoelectric)
9,072,5761,1804,2911,5745,4712,754

Groundwater withdrawals, by category of use

Bar chart showing groundwater withdrawals in 2005 for Georgia, by category of use.

Information Resources

To view PDF documents, you need the free Adobe Acrobat® Reader installed on your computer.

USGS Home Water Climate Change Core Science Ecosystems Energy and Minerals Env. Health Hazards

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices

Take Pride in America logo USA.gov logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
URL: http://ga.water.usgs.gov/infodata/wateruse/groundwater.html
Page Contact Information: webmaster-ga@usgs.gov
Page Last Modified: Tuesday, 04-Feb-2014 08:18:55 EST